Skip to main content

WilsonBlock100 Radio

Americana Musician Eli Gardiner talks Writing Lyrics, His Love for Music, and His New Album "Virginia Rose"


Mistah Wilson: Yo, Eli Gardiner! Thank you for submitting a formal artist introduction and stopping by for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine.

Mistah Wilson: For our audience reading this, would you mind giving us a quick background on yourself?
Eli Gardiner: I grew up in a musical household. My dad played classical guitar and my mom played flute. I remember them playing instrumental music at weddings and stuff. Some of my earliest music memories are hearing the radio show "Saturday night Gold" and listening to my dad's record collection including Jim Croce and Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" album.

Mistah Wilson: Before we get into tha music, I want to delve a little more into your story. What have been some challenges and rewards you've encountered along your journey?
Eli Gardiner: I asked for a guitar when I was around 12 years old but soon lost interest in it, my dad wanted to teach my how to write music and how to play it in a classical style and I just wanted to play songs. My senior year of high school I picked it back up because I was writing poetry and wanted to
put music to the lyrics. I can remember one of the first songs I wrote was inspired by an old man who I met when camping. He was all alone sitting by the fire, there was something about that scene that made me want to write and capture that melancholy feeling. A big reward for me is when someone will come up and tell me how much they like a song at a show or when there is even just a nod of recognition.

Mistah Wilson: What inspires your creativity?
Eli Gardiner: A feeling driving home from work, a memory, a look from a stranger, a line overheard, really anything.

Mistah Wilson: What does music mean to you?
Eli Gardiner: It means connection. Songs for me are about remembering and connecting at our deepest core.

Mistah Wilson: What techniques do you use when writing lyrics, creating choruses, and performing?
Eli Gardiner: I like to do free writing exercises sometimes, other times songs will just come to me and its all I can do to just get them down on paper. I usually like to create a rhyme scheme and usually a melody will come from how the rhyme and words fall. I'm kind of split on creating choruses, sometimes I don't think a song needs one. it all depends on the feel, other times I like to put in a similar line and call it a chorus. Performing is a different beast. For me its about getting inside the songs and trying to present them to the audience in the best way possible.

Mistah Wilson: What do you plan to accomplish through your music?
Eli Gardiner: I just want to make music that I like. It would be cool to play a bunch of shows and go on
tour as well!

Mistah Wilson: What current and upcoming projects do you have?
Eli Gardiner: I have just released my new album titled "Virginia Rose" and I'm working on recording a bunch of old and new songs as well as getting a full band together.

Mistah Wilson: What positive, encouraging words do you have for aspiring artists and musicians?
Eli Gardiner: Something I heard awhile back was, "you only fail at your art if you stop doing it" also, take time to find your own voice.

Mistah Wilson: Where can people find your music online?
Eli Gardiner: Itunes: Virginia Rose by Eli Gardiner on Apple Music
CD Baby:♫ Virginia Rose - Eli Gardiner. Listen @cdbaby
bandcamp, spotify and amazon music.
also check out my facebook page and youtube videos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teena Marie's Legacy Lingers in Pasadena's San Rafael Neighborhood

Mistah Wilson locates R&B Legend Teena Marie's Pasadena,CA Residence   Update: The original article claimed Teena Marie's Pasadena home was located in Linda Vista. Correction: Teena Marie's Pasadena, CA residence was located in the San Rafael area @ 1000 Laguna Road. Pasadena, CA 91105 Although the Ivory Queen of Soul and Rick James protege wasn't born in Pasadena, California , the fact that she lived off Laguna Road right here in Pasadena's San Rafael neighborhood means a lot for the local music scene . As you think about what Pasadena has been to the County of Los Angeles, you can only imagine the type of things that have transpired on the local music scene with Hollywood being so close. Pasadena has been known as a place Hollywood comes to when they are trying to keep a low profile. Even so, it's also a place Hollywood shoots a lot of their highly esteemed TV Show sitcoms, movies, commercials, and more. Percy's Portrait Photography But,...

Hip Hop Musician "HENDO" talks Shows, Mixtapes, & Life growing up in Tacoma, WA in an Exclusive Interview w/ Mistah Wilson

"I wanna start a big brother program for the youth. A lot of kids have talents and big dreams just don't have the right guidance to prevent them from falling victim to the streets." - Hendo Mistah Wilson: Yo, Hendo! What's good wit it. Glad to have you here with us for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. How you been?  Hendo: I've been good bro just grinding knocking out these shows and mixtapes. Appreciate you for having me on here bro foreal it's a blessing i'm rocking with the movement. Mistah Wilson:  For our audience reading this, could you give us a quick background on yourself?  Hendo:   I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA youngest outta 3 siblings. I've lived all over Tacoma tried playing football in high school that didn't work out. I always wanted to do stand up comedy since I'm always cracking jokes once I get my feet in the music business I definitely gonna try that out one of my first dreams. Mistah Wilson:  ...

New Music: Ransom x The Game x Rome Streetz – Pray For The Weak

Ransom and Rome Streetz will be releasing a new joint album titled Coup De Grâce . The two link up with The Game for a new collab called “Pray For The Weak” . The three lyrical beast get busy on the hypnotizing instrumental. Via American Music Scene http://www.rssmix.com/