Skip to main content

WilsonBlock100 Radio

Taye Zooited's "A Gangsta’s Way" (Album Review by Jhantu Randall)

Read More by Jhantu Randall

I’ve covered Zooited Gang in articles quite a bit throughout the previous year, whether directly or indirectly. From highlighting them as a group to describing that high energy vibe they bring to every performance while also trying to show who they were as individual artists by pushing attention towards their videos. As a group, Zooited Gang has recently put out their project “Welcome To The Zoo” and now, fresh off of that, Taye Zooited is releasing his solo project “A Gangsta’s Way.”

The sound of this project really sticks to the formula of what makes a quintessential West Coast album stand out. Including both heavy baselines and melodic hooks, each track creates an atmosphere which holds your attention as Taye and each one of his featured artists guide you through this sonic world. The opening track “I’mma Take It” sets up the vibe of whats to come as the title track, “Gangsta’s Way” is where I feel the true introduction stays. The next track, “On Me” which is one of the standouts in my opinion, Taye gives a glimpse into his thought process. With lines like, “I don’t trust these niggas/I don’t trust these bitch’s/You can’t trust nobody when you out here in these trenches,” it’s a concept that is almost universal within itself regardless of how many ways its been expressed throughout the years. “Packs For The Low” is one I kept going back to because beyond the song, I immediately find myself listening to the tracks that have names of other Zooited Gang members featured. I actually felt the same way with the tracks that featured artists ZooBaby and Highway Ace as well, but every feature added another layer to the labyrinth that was being woven throughout these tracks.

A gangsta’s way has 20 tracks which allows the project to be listened to as a whole without sounding too rushed or condensed. Instead, the length of it, which runs at just under an hour, gives each track the opportunity to play out and be taken in fully. Each holds its own identity but through Taye’s lyrics, he’s able to tie everything together through his verses and storytelling ability. There’s something to be said about someone who can put together a project that is both entertaining and sonically pleasing while sounding effortless at the same time. This album achieves that in much the same way as “Welcome To The Zoo” did, and thats the proof that each member of Zooited Gang possess something that can’t be taught…or even explained coherently. It’s that feeling that rests between the canyons of knowing you have it and trying to get it. “Stole From Me” crafts a warning that sticks with you where Taye basically tells those who wanna be bold that its best not to cross him. It’s the last song “They Don’t Love” which ends this project the right way, reiterating the concepts already addressed while showing a drive that has no signs of slowing down. “A Gangsta’s Way” keeps the bar elevated, built up from the consistent grind that Zooited Gang has always established, but after hearing this I’m left anticipating whats coming next. From other members solo albums to more group releases, what sets Zooited Gang apart is seeing how each individuals talent pushes the others to keep reaching for more without having to pay attention to all the other noise that other rappers tend to embrace. That alone gives another reason to sit back, roll up and give “A Gangsta’s Way” a solid listen.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teena Marie's Legacy Lingers in Pasadena's San Rafael Neighborhood

Mistah Wilson locates R&B Legend Teena Marie's Pasadena,CA Residence   Update: The original article claimed Teena Marie's Pasadena home was located in Linda Vista. Correction: Teena Marie's Pasadena, CA residence was located in the San Rafael area @ 1000 Laguna Road. Pasadena, CA 91105 Although the Ivory Queen of Soul and Rick James protege wasn't born in Pasadena, California , the fact that she lived off Laguna Road right here in Pasadena's San Rafael neighborhood means a lot for the local music scene . As you think about what Pasadena has been to the County of Los Angeles, you can only imagine the type of things that have transpired on the local music scene with Hollywood being so close. Pasadena has been known as a place Hollywood comes to when they are trying to keep a low profile. Even so, it's also a place Hollywood shoots a lot of their highly esteemed TV Show sitcoms, movies, commercials, and more. Percy's Portrait Photography But,...

Hip Hop Musician "HENDO" talks Shows, Mixtapes, & Life growing up in Tacoma, WA in an Exclusive Interview w/ Mistah Wilson

"I wanna start a big brother program for the youth. A lot of kids have talents and big dreams just don't have the right guidance to prevent them from falling victim to the streets." - Hendo Mistah Wilson: Yo, Hendo! What's good wit it. Glad to have you here with us for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. How you been?  Hendo: I've been good bro just grinding knocking out these shows and mixtapes. Appreciate you for having me on here bro foreal it's a blessing i'm rocking with the movement. Mistah Wilson:  For our audience reading this, could you give us a quick background on yourself?  Hendo:   I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA youngest outta 3 siblings. I've lived all over Tacoma tried playing football in high school that didn't work out. I always wanted to do stand up comedy since I'm always cracking jokes once I get my feet in the music business I definitely gonna try that out one of my first dreams. Mistah Wilson:  ...

New Music: Ransom x The Game x Rome Streetz – Pray For The Weak

Ransom and Rome Streetz will be releasing a new joint album titled Coup De Grâce . The two link up with The Game for a new collab called “Pray For The Weak” . The three lyrical beast get busy on the hypnotizing instrumental. Via American Music Scene http://www.rssmix.com/