Skip to main content

WilsonBlock100 Radio

Pasadena rapper KStone talks Childhood, Incarceration, and Music (Exclusive Interview)

BStyle Photography
Mistah Wilson: Yo KStone, what's good wit it! Thanks for coming thru for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine! Before we get further into it, what was it like growing up in Pasadena, CA and what does it mean to be from tha City of Roses?
KStone: I'm a 80's baby so around that time it was turnt meaning the gang life. You seen the rising of the crack era. Pops a gang member so I remember hearing gunshots. 46 E. Montana St yea is where it all began. Mama got us in the kitchen clutching down I remember all of that. My childhood was nasty. To be from here City of the Rose it's a wonderful feeling blessed it's no other city like it.

Mistah Wilson: When did you know you wanted to pursue music?
KStone: I wanted to purse music at a young age. I remember pops got his beats playing on his stereo he had back n the day telling me to catch the beat read in his rhyme book at like 9. Since then it waz a go. But I didn't really start taking it serious til' like I hit the county jail at 18 shit got real for ya' boy. Just took my life and put it on paper.


Mistah Wilson: What current and upcoming projects do you have in tha works?
KStone: Right now I got my mixtape Tha Ghettos Preacher droppin' in November. Got some Features wit some real dope artist, too. So, early next year I'll have my first official Album out.

Mistah Wilson: Who are some artists you've worked with and which artists from DENA stand out tha most to you?
KStone: The artist I worked with have been Major James on that Life's A Gamble track off my last mixtape Almost Famous still out on nerveDjs are Datpiff.. Artists that stand out to me.. I like Greezy, Kali Slim, Kali B, Munee Waterz, Jay Mulah A lot he come off with that street gospel like me. I like V8 and what he doing over there. We all do it's a lot and we all got our own lane.
BStyle Photography

Mistah Wilson: From your standpoint, what has been tha state and condition of Pasadena's local music scene?
KStone: Superb. When it comes down to music my city is great we excel in this part because of the struggle because of where we live we bottle all that up and put it down. Due to that I think we get over looked a lot. I think we should all come together and put Dena where it's suppose to be. But right now we all in our own pocket making noise not as a unit. It's critical right now we need unity. Branching outside the box then I think people would take more notice and interest in us.

Mistah Wilson: In your songs you mention you've done prison time. What have been some challenges you've faced on your journey?
KStone: I did 4 in prison due to a terrible childhood growing up but the streets changed me. Got caught wit possession of sales of crack cocaine at 18 shortly after I caught my first gun case..multiple 211's it's been rough for me u could see it hear it cuz I talk about it. Seen the passing of my Brody Kendrick Mcneil late 2015 really struck a nerve wit me still do always will. The struggle from homelessness has really humbled me to the person I am to today.

Mistah Wilson: What have been some more of tha rewarding things you've experienced thus far?
KStone: First off the Birth of my son Bralynn Kendrick-Lawrence McNeil a real blessing for me. I got to work with Major James that was a goal of mine since I heard Roll On with Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, really nothin too major right now but my future is lookin' bright.

Mistah Wilson: What message are you trying to send through your music?
BStyle Photography
KStone: The message I'm trying to send is a positive one through all the struggles + the court cases
What ever u have on ya' lap u can get through it. And my music gives you that side of life where we're not as fortunate as others. We take losses and go through things that's terrifying and I'm that voice to tell people what we go through. Me, Tha Ghetto's Preacher..

Mistah Wilson: Where can people connect and follow you online?
KStone: All man, they can tap in wit me through my Email
My facebook at Kendall kstone McNeil
My ig at topdafoodchainent

Mistah Wilson: Yo, KStone! This is only tha beginning, fam! Thanks for coming thru for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. Got any shout outs?
KStone: Got a couple on'em shot out Kali Slim my producer beat maker everything in one right there. Shot out the squad Topdafoodchain Kmack Phatz, StoneMack, Stone. N. Peace, RuffBabys, Kali B,  Much Love Jay Mulah, Munee Waterz, G-Raff, my support Tha Squad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teena Marie's Legacy Lingers in Pasadena's San Rafael Neighborhood

Mistah Wilson locates R&B Legend Teena Marie's Pasadena,CA Residence   Update: The original article claimed Teena Marie's Pasadena home was located in Linda Vista. Correction: Teena Marie's Pasadena, CA residence was located in the San Rafael area @ 1000 Laguna Road. Pasadena, CA 91105 Although the Ivory Queen of Soul and Rick James protege wasn't born in Pasadena, California , the fact that she lived off Laguna Road right here in Pasadena's San Rafael neighborhood means a lot for the local music scene . As you think about what Pasadena has been to the County of Los Angeles, you can only imagine the type of things that have transpired on the local music scene with Hollywood being so close. Pasadena has been known as a place Hollywood comes to when they are trying to keep a low profile. Even so, it's also a place Hollywood shoots a lot of their highly esteemed TV Show sitcoms, movies, commercials, and more. Percy's Portrait Photography But,...

Hip Hop Musician "HENDO" talks Shows, Mixtapes, & Life growing up in Tacoma, WA in an Exclusive Interview w/ Mistah Wilson

"I wanna start a big brother program for the youth. A lot of kids have talents and big dreams just don't have the right guidance to prevent them from falling victim to the streets." - Hendo Mistah Wilson: Yo, Hendo! What's good wit it. Glad to have you here with us for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. How you been?  Hendo: I've been good bro just grinding knocking out these shows and mixtapes. Appreciate you for having me on here bro foreal it's a blessing i'm rocking with the movement. Mistah Wilson:  For our audience reading this, could you give us a quick background on yourself?  Hendo:   I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA youngest outta 3 siblings. I've lived all over Tacoma tried playing football in high school that didn't work out. I always wanted to do stand up comedy since I'm always cracking jokes once I get my feet in the music business I definitely gonna try that out one of my first dreams. Mistah Wilson:  ...

New Music: Ransom x The Game x Rome Streetz – Pray For The Weak

Ransom and Rome Streetz will be releasing a new joint album titled Coup De Grâce . The two link up with The Game for a new collab called “Pray For The Weak” . The three lyrical beast get busy on the hypnotizing instrumental. Via American Music Scene http://www.rssmix.com/