Skip to main content

WilsonBlock100 Radio

Read "GRADUATION" album review by Ockley (R&B From A Wider Perspective)

Listen to GRADUATION album by Ockley
In this new era it feels as if there’s no solid boundaries anymore. In many aspects, that can be a good thing, at the same time it can leave the landscape feeling rather confusing. In music for instance, our entire generation has come up hearing certain genres and recognizing them right away whereas now, the artists are willing to experiment with their sound. As a result many acts we consider rap actually sound like a fusion of 70’s rock, soul and pieces of neo soul. While risky, it does open the doors for something new, but it begs the question, what defines R&B these days?

I grew up listening to groups from the 1950’s all the way up to the 90’s and fell in love with the music and how it had evolved. Each decade building upon the foundation the previous generation paved for it to thrive and change with the times. I’d be lying if I said I knew which R&B acts stand out today because at this point every genre, from hip hop to country seems to borrow from one another leaving only the artist interchangeable, the songs themselves sound very similar to me. Over the last few years there’s been acts who have carried the R&B mantle for only for a short time. While all of them are good in their own right, there seemed to be something lacking when it came to the projects overall connection to the audience. Not saying that there’s any quick answers here, but knowing this leads me to the next step which is digging a little further and seeking the raw vocals I’m looking for to ease this dilemma.

With that being said, I was fortunate enough to come across this album being streamed titled “Graduation” by a singer named Ockley. From the first track, “100 Everyday” his melodic voice comes across with a particular sincerity accompanied by a fierce determination to get his message out with every note. The thing that sets Ockley apart in my mind is, that even though his sounds sound like a throwback to what I feel has been missing, he himself was born in Lusaka, Zambia. Thus the bonus for the listener comes with hearing R&B with an international viewpoint. That is made clear as he sings in what I assume is his native language on the track “Tikondane” and while I don’t know what he’s singing about, I feel that song in a way I can't quite explain. On songs like “Singla Mama” “She Told Me” and “Tikaonana” it’s his story telling ability that I am drawn to. These songs stood out to me because it allowed me to escape and reflect upon my own experiences through his melodies. The go to tracks for me are “Africa” “Time Flies” “Amanda” and “Show Me Some Love” as they all have their own unique sound to them.

What I love about this album is that the content is completely unexpected and at the same time, exactly what R&B needs to energize itself. This is an album that you can just put on ands listen to whether you're heading to the club on a Friday Night or just going for a drive and looking for a soundtrack. If this is a graduation, I’m curious to know what Ockley has in store for the next stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teena Marie's Legacy Lingers in Pasadena's San Rafael Neighborhood

Mistah Wilson locates R&B Legend Teena Marie's Pasadena,CA Residence   Update: The original article claimed Teena Marie's Pasadena home was located in Linda Vista. Correction: Teena Marie's Pasadena, CA residence was located in the San Rafael area @ 1000 Laguna Road. Pasadena, CA 91105 Although the Ivory Queen of Soul and Rick James protege wasn't born in Pasadena, California , the fact that she lived off Laguna Road right here in Pasadena's San Rafael neighborhood means a lot for the local music scene . As you think about what Pasadena has been to the County of Los Angeles, you can only imagine the type of things that have transpired on the local music scene with Hollywood being so close. Pasadena has been known as a place Hollywood comes to when they are trying to keep a low profile. Even so, it's also a place Hollywood shoots a lot of their highly esteemed TV Show sitcoms, movies, commercials, and more. Percy's Portrait Photography But,...

Hip Hop Musician "HENDO" talks Shows, Mixtapes, & Life growing up in Tacoma, WA in an Exclusive Interview w/ Mistah Wilson

"I wanna start a big brother program for the youth. A lot of kids have talents and big dreams just don't have the right guidance to prevent them from falling victim to the streets." - Hendo Mistah Wilson: Yo, Hendo! What's good wit it. Glad to have you here with us for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. How you been?  Hendo: I've been good bro just grinding knocking out these shows and mixtapes. Appreciate you for having me on here bro foreal it's a blessing i'm rocking with the movement. Mistah Wilson:  For our audience reading this, could you give us a quick background on yourself?  Hendo:   I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA youngest outta 3 siblings. I've lived all over Tacoma tried playing football in high school that didn't work out. I always wanted to do stand up comedy since I'm always cracking jokes once I get my feet in the music business I definitely gonna try that out one of my first dreams. Mistah Wilson:  ...

New Music: Ransom x The Game x Rome Streetz – Pray For The Weak

Ransom and Rome Streetz will be releasing a new joint album titled Coup De Grâce . The two link up with The Game for a new collab called “Pray For The Weak” . The three lyrical beast get busy on the hypnotizing instrumental. Via American Music Scene http://www.rssmix.com/