Skip to main content

WilsonBlock100 Radio

A Lesson in Humble Leadership


When you’re a leader — no matter how long you’ve been in your role or how hard the journey was to get there — you are merely overhead unless you’re bringing out the best in your employees. Unfortunately, many leaders lose sight of this.

Power, as my colleague Ena Inesi has studied, can cause leaders to become overly obsessed with outcomes and control, and, therefore, treat their employees as means to an end. As I’ve discovered in my own research, this ramps up people’s fear — fear of not hitting targets, fear of losing bonuses, fear of failing — and as a consequence people stop feeling positive emotions and their drive to experiment and learn is stifled.

Take for example a UK food delivery service that I’ve studied. The engagement of its drivers, who deliver milk and bread to millions of customers each day, was dipping while management was becoming increasingly metric-driven in an effort to reduce costs and improve delivery times. Each week, managers held weekly performance debriefs with drivers and went through a list of problems, complaints, and errors with a clipboard and pen. This was not inspiring on any level, to either party. And, eventually, the drivers, many of whom had worked for the company for decades, became resentful.

Take for example a UK food delivery service that I’ve studied. The engagement of its...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teena Marie's Legacy Lingers in Pasadena's San Rafael Neighborhood

Mistah Wilson locates R&B Legend Teena Marie's Pasadena,CA Residence   Update: The original article claimed Teena Marie's Pasadena home was located in Linda Vista. Correction: Teena Marie's Pasadena, CA residence was located in the San Rafael area @ 1000 Laguna Road. Pasadena, CA 91105 Although the Ivory Queen of Soul and Rick James protege wasn't born in Pasadena, California , the fact that she lived off Laguna Road right here in Pasadena's San Rafael neighborhood means a lot for the local music scene . As you think about what Pasadena has been to the County of Los Angeles, you can only imagine the type of things that have transpired on the local music scene with Hollywood being so close. Pasadena has been known as a place Hollywood comes to when they are trying to keep a low profile. Even so, it's also a place Hollywood shoots a lot of their highly esteemed TV Show sitcoms, movies, commercials, and more. Percy's Portrait Photography But,...

Hip Hop Musician "HENDO" talks Shows, Mixtapes, & Life growing up in Tacoma, WA in an Exclusive Interview w/ Mistah Wilson

"I wanna start a big brother program for the youth. A lot of kids have talents and big dreams just don't have the right guidance to prevent them from falling victim to the streets." - Hendo Mistah Wilson: Yo, Hendo! What's good wit it. Glad to have you here with us for this exclusive interview with ThaWilsonBlock Magazine. How you been?  Hendo: I've been good bro just grinding knocking out these shows and mixtapes. Appreciate you for having me on here bro foreal it's a blessing i'm rocking with the movement. Mistah Wilson:  For our audience reading this, could you give us a quick background on yourself?  Hendo:   I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA youngest outta 3 siblings. I've lived all over Tacoma tried playing football in high school that didn't work out. I always wanted to do stand up comedy since I'm always cracking jokes once I get my feet in the music business I definitely gonna try that out one of my first dreams. Mistah Wilson:  ...

New Music: Ransom x The Game x Rome Streetz – Pray For The Weak

Ransom and Rome Streetz will be releasing a new joint album titled Coup De Grâce . The two link up with The Game for a new collab called “Pray For The Weak” . The three lyrical beast get busy on the hypnotizing instrumental. Via American Music Scene http://www.rssmix.com/